Monday 2 May 2011

Had a fab time at the Perth Concert Hall Saturday evening.  Went to a performance of Carmina Burana.  What a show!  The other works performed were The fountains of Rome (Respighi) followed by Capriccio Espagnol (Rimsky-Korsakov).  I especially liked the Rimsky-Korsakov piece as it is full of lively melodies and shows off each section of the orchestra. 

The main event Carmina Burana was spectacular.  The WASO choir and orchestra are amazing, though I have to confess that I couldn't take my eyes of Giancarlo Guerrero, the conductor.  This was his debut with the WASO and hopefully it will not be his last.  The counter tenor was Tobias Cole, and I always find castrati fascinating to watch and listen to.  I have always loved the percussion section of an orchestra and as this section featured heavily in two of the pieces I was content.

I left the venue feeling sated and relaxed.  The whole evening was like food for my soul.

3 comments:

  1. Wow sounds like you really did have a lovely time. I don't know enough about it (actually, anything about it) to my shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a fabulous time -

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice description of your evening. The Perth Concert Hall is probably my favourite venue in Perth to hear music.

    ReplyDelete